Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 11th reading blog

This reading, Negotiation in Cyberspace, deals with some of the benefits of synchronous feedback and error correction with NNS. One of the interesting points was that implicit learning takes place when a native speaker drops a preposition, and a native speaker rephrases the comment, this time with a preposition, for example.

I think this type of communication and feedback is a great way to get students to correct their work, almost unintentionally. My question would be that since these types of activities can be time-consuming when completed outside of class, so will these types of activities take place in lieu of class time? I don't see these types of activities happening during class, so will this be extra work students complete outside of class?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Deena, I'm not sure how this would work in the classroom, it seems it would take up too much class time but than how do we make this an activity outside of the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be a lot of planning because the teacher needs to closely monitor what students are doing online..so, Jessina, I really don't know yet! :)

    ReplyDelete